Counselor In Training (CIT) Program
Are you looking for a queer camp experience? Want to get radical, with resilient radicals? Want to build on your leadership skills while still being creative? Join our empowered space and rediscover what you thought you knew about summer camp.
The goal of QORDS CIT program is to foster a community of peer leaders (*ahem* queer leaders) that will empower each other and campers at QORDS summer camp. We are looking for imaginative, self-motivated, fun-loving, and friendly individuals, ages 18-21, who can bring the best out of campers and staff. While the program is geared for returning campers, you don’t have to have been a camper to be a CIT!
QORDS believes that peer (queer) leadership is one of the fundamental ways to create a sustainable community. We hope this program will inspire the potential CIT with opportunities to refine and build upon their leadership skills, gain new knowledge, develop new attitudes, and gain experiential practice in their roles as leaders.
Interested in becoming a CIT? Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- tell your friends (campers (ages 12-17) and CITs (ages 18-21) alike) to come to camp!
- outreach to schools in your area
- attend CIT Training (mandatory)
- work with counselors to create a safe, inclusive space for camp
- experiential learning by shadowing and assisting staff
- organize and teach a workshop at camp (optional)
- collaborate with other CITs and successfully plan an all-camp event
- assist in cabin supervision duties
- form a CIT band and write songs
- adhere to QORDS camp policy and code of conduct in volunteer contract
- encourage continued contact between former campers/camper families
- more outreach to schools in your area
- develop a resource guide for queer and trans* youth & youth of queer and trans* parents for camp
- create educational & kid-friendly hand-outs to explain the gender spectrum for community use